Going Deeper - December 11th, 2022
Joseph's Simple Obedience
SERIES: Jesus The King // SCRIPTURE: Matthew 1:18-25
Summary: We are going to walk through the Advent Season through the eyes and record that Matthew gives us in Matthew 1 and 2. What principles can we learn that we have not seen before?
1. How do we preserve the true purpose of Christmas?
2. Joseph is a "good" guy but gets some terrible news. What was Joseph prior to the dream (v.19) and what was his plan? What was his plan based off of?
3. The angel speaks directly to Mary in Luke but by a dream to Joseph in Matthew. Why do you think so? (Probably no definitive answer here.)
4. Joseph was commanded to "take" Mary as his wife, "call" the baby's name Jesus, and "fulfill" the Scriptures by keeping Mary a virgin. How hard would this be for Joseph to do?
5. Isaiah 53:6; Jeremiah 31:31-34; Ezekiel 36:25-27; Daniel 9:24 - What do we have Christmas? What is the message of Christmas? What should this fact push us to do?
6. Jesus Immanuel - "The God who saves is with us." How is this your new definition of Christmas?
7. Would you have woken from the dream and followed the simple instructions of God via the angel? Why was it important that Joseph was described as a righteous man prior to the dream? What prepares you for future obedience?